Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
At Global Ag Risk Solutions, we collect, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- offering and providing products and services to meet your needs;
- establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- verifying personal information, you provide in your application;
- assessing and underwriting risks on a prudent basis;
- determining insurance product prices
- investigating and settling claims;
- detecting and preventing fraud or other illegal activities;
- reporting to regulatory or industry entities; and
- acting as required or authorized by law.
- Further we may de-identify or otherwise anonymize your personal information and use the de-identified or anonymized data, whether alone or aggregated with other data, for business and analytical purposes, including creating reports, predictive models and benchmarks, deriving insights and conducting market research. Such de-identified, anonymized and aggregated information and any derivatives thereof, may be shared by us with other persons for business and analytical purposes. Such information is not personal information and cannot be used to identify you.
All of the above are our “Identified Purposes”
We will only collect, use and disclose your personal information for our Identified Purposes, and only collect the personal information necessary in order to achieve the Identified Purposes, or as otherwise permitted by applicable law. When we collect your personal information, we are doing so not just for any one of the Identified Purposes, but potentially for all of the Identified Purposes. For example, personal information we initially use for the purpose of underwriting your policy may subsequently be used for the purpose of investigating and settling your claim. Similarly, personal information we initially use for the purpose of investigating and settling your claim may subsequently be used for the purpose of underwriting your policy renewal. Should we wish to collect, use or disclose your personal information for a new purpose, we will, as required by applicable law, explain the new purpose to you and obtain your consent before the information is collected, used or shared. We will only collect your personal information by fair and lawful means, and will not collect, use, disclose or retain your personal information without a valid reason for doing so.
- In addition to the foregoing, there are certain circumstances where the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information without your consent may occur, to the extent permitted by applicable laws. For example, these circumstances would include:
- collection, use or disclosure where it is clearly in the best interest of a customer and his/her consent cannot be obtained in a timely way (for example, in the case of an emergency); disclosure for the purpose of collecting a debt owed to us; collection and use in investigating a breach of an agreement or a contravention of law; disclosure to our legal counsel; disclosure to comply with a subpoena or warrant; and collection, use or disclosure where we are required or permitted by law or court order to do so. Types of Personal Information Collected
- Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. The types of personal information that we may collect about you in the course of conducting our business include:
- name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number; • banking, credit, and financial information; • previous insurance and claims experience; • legal land locations; and • farm information, which may include information related to historical production, inputs, crops produced and farming practices. • Consent
- Your knowledge and consent are required before we may collect, use or disclose your personal information, except in situations permitted by the law, such as during a fraud investigation, or where we are required to disclose information by court order.
You may provide your consent in a variety of ways:
(1) by completing an application for services/products, either on your own behalf or through your broker, agent, or accountant you have provided Global Ag Risk Solutions with your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information for the Identified Purposes; or
Maintaining Accurate Information
Global Ag Risk Solutions will make reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal information is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for our Identified Purposes. To request corrections to any errors or omissions in your personal information, please send your written request to Global Ag Risk Solutions Privacy Officer. Once Global Ag Risk Solutions has confirmed that the request for correction is reasonable, Global Ag Risk Solutions will correct the personal information as soon as reasonably possible.
Protecting Your Privacy
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties in accordance with our Identified Purposes. For example, as part of the underwriting handling process, we may transfer personal information to other insurance companies including reinsurance companies which share in the risk. Additionally, personal information may be disclosed to brokers or agents, other insurers or insurance reporting agencies for underwriting and claims. We may also disclose personal information to businesses that provide goods and services to insurance companies and their customers, such as claims adjusters and appraisers. As well, we may disclose personal information to government and regulatory agencies as required by law. Only the information necessary for these services will be provided by us to these service providers, and such disclosure will only be on the basis that they will maintain the confidentiality of the information. If we discover that third parties are improperly handling your personal information, we will take appropriate action to protect your personal information.
Internet users can visit our website without telling us who they are or revealing any personal information about themselves. We do not collect information through our website that personally identifies individuals except when individuals provide such specific information voluntarily by e-mail. In such cases, we may collect, store and use such information in the same manner as we do other correspondence sent to us.
When you use the Internet, your web browser or client software may transmit certain information to the servers that host the web sites you visit (“Technical Information"). This Technical Information may include the unique number assigned to your server or Internet connection, the capabilities and features of your computer, your geographic location, and your movement within and interaction with the website, including what pages you look at and what information you download. When you visit our website, our servers collect such information. We use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to our web site and to optimize our web service.
With respect to communicating with us over the Internet, please note that Internet communications are not absolutely secure and accordingly we cannot guarantee that the information you send to us will not be intercepted, collected and misused by others without your consent.
Transferring Your Personal Information (Including Outside Canada)
We may transfer personal information that we collect or that you provide as described in this policy to service providers and other third parties that we use to support our business, including to service providers located outside of Canada. Where we do so, we will contractually require such third party to employ appropriate security safeguards to protect your personal information, subject to the law in the third party jurisdiction. While the personal information is in another jurisdiction it may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of that jurisdiction. The jurisdictions where personal information may be collected, used, disclosed and stored include the United States of America. To obtain further information about our policies and practices with respect to privacy with respect to our outside Canada service providers, you may contact our Privacy Officer as indicated below.
Withdrawal and Retention
You may withdraw your consent, subject to legal or contractual obligations and on reasonable notice, but please note that your withdrawal may limit our ability to provide you with the requested product or service. In the event that you wish to withdraw your consent, you should contact our Privacy Officer as indicated below for information regarding the implications of such withdrawal, and then if you choose to proceed, give the requisite notice.
If you conclude your relationship with us, we will continue to safeguard the privacy of your personal information in accordance with this policy and as required by law. Your personal information will be retained by us only as long as it is needed, or to meet any legal, regulatory or tax requirements. When your personal information is no longer needed for the Identified Purposes, we will take the proper steps to ensure that such personal information is destroyed, erased or otherwise made anonymous.
Accessing Your Personal Information
You have the right to access your personal information that is in our possession or under our control in order to verify the accuracy and completeness of the personal information. To request access, please send your written request to Global Ag Risk Solutions Privacy Officer. We will respond to your request within thirty days or advise you if additional time is required to respond to your request.
There may be situations in which we are legally prohibited from allowing you access to your personal information. If this is the case, we will advise you of why, subject to any legal restrictions.
We may charge you for providing access to your personal information; however, we will only do so after first advising you of the approximate cost.
If you believe that any of your personal information is incorrect, you can request that it be amended. We will amend personal information that is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete and will make reasonable efforts to advise other parties to whom we have supplied your personal information of corrections that are needed. There is no charge for verifying and correcting information.
Global Ag Risk Solutions
54 Stadacona St West, Suite 8
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Fax: (306) 972-8122
If we do not resolve your questions or complaint to your satisfaction, you may address your concerns to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada using the contact information set out below (or the provincial privacy commissioner that oversees the applicable provincial privacy law):
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30 Victoria Street
Fax: (819) 994-5424
TTY: (819) 994-6591Website: www.priv.gc.ca